From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA bikeshed: killing USE=dedicated in favor of uniform USE=client+server
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 19:33:07
1 On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 20:03:26 +0200
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > As an alternative, we would use USE=client and USE=server along with
5 > > proper IUSE defaults to control client & server builds
6 > > appropriately. Both flags use positive logic, and REQUIRED_USE='||
7 > > ( client server )' is rather clear.
8 >
9 > That increases the burden of managing configuration and further abuses
10 > REQUIRED_USE where it wasn't meant to be used in the first place.
11 >
12 > USE="dedicated" has worked fine for games users and no one has ever
13 > complained. In fact, it is a _very_ convenient USE flag, which means
14 > "no manual fiddling, this will be dedicated for sure".
15
16 I'm don't feel very strongly about it but as someone who is considering
17 working on more games in the future, I like what mgorny has suggested.
18 I don't think the micro-managing argument flies so well here because
19 these flags are much less common than flags like qt. client and server
20 would probably be enabled by default in most cases and I doubt there
21 are any games where you can't have both. If there were a conflict then
22 you would want to make a concious decision as it's more significant
23 than choosing a GUI toolkit.
26 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
27 Gentoo Linux Developer