From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, pms-bugs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Looking for alternative to RESTRICT=userpriv
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:17:34
1 Dnia 2014-07-08, o godz. 16:17:02
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > >>>>> On Tue, 8 Jul 2014, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >
6 > > b) SUPPLEMENTARY_GROUPS support [2]. The idea is to use setgroups()
7 > > to transparently enable group membership for the build process.
8 >
9 > > Advantages:
10 >
11 > > - transparent, relatively simple.
12 >
13 > > Disadvantages:
14 >
15 > > - quite ugly name ;),
16 >
17 > Certainly this can be changed. :)
18 >
19 > > - doesn't cover other uses of FEATURES=userpriv.
20 >
21 > Which ones? Are there examples for such uses in the Portage tree?
22
23 I meant RESTRICT=userpriv, of course :).
24
25 So far most of the 'why are you blocking userpriv?' bugs lie with no
26 answer but there's already the case of fatsort which tests loop-mount
27 a VFAT filesystem and use it to run tests. This effectively makes it
28 require CAP_SYSADMIN.
29
30 Of course, we could discuss that the test is very wrong to do that,
31 that it fails when there's no VFAT support in kernel etc. I'd love to
32 see upstream switching to some userspace FAT manipulation tools
33 (mtools, for example) but it's not my call.
34
35 > > c) 'esudo' helper [3]. This is a more generic form of (2), with
36 > > support for other potential privilege changes.
37 >
38 > > [...]
39 >
40 > > Disadvantages:
41 >
42 > > - hard to implement -- especially if we want to make it capable of
43 > > running bash functions.
44 >
45 > Any idea how to implement it? Does it imply adding app-admin/sudo to
46 > the system set?
47
48 I don't think we'd use the reference 'sudo' impl. Rather some
49 in-portage helper, possibly setuid. Or portage's IPC but that would
50 imply running the command in an isolated environment (possibly
51 beneficial).
52
53 > > What do you think? Do you have other ideas?
54 >
55 > Looking at the bugs that you have filed, it looks like most ebuilds
56 > using userpriv restriction could be fixed, without any additional
57 > support added to the package manager.
58 >
59 > How many ebuilds will be left, after doing these fixes? Is it really
60 > worth the effort then?
61
62 What kind of fixes do you mean? Killing the games group? Adding ACLs
63 for portage user?
64
65 Please also remember that the bugs don't cover all cases. For example,
66 many CUDA/nvidia cases use solution alike (1) at the moment.
69 Best regards,
70 Michał Górny