From: Michael Everitt <gentoo@×××××××.xyz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Editing RDEPEND without a new revision (again)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 18:20:35
1 On 25/10/19 14:43, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 10/24/19 10:03 PM, Michael Everitt wrote:
3 >> Forgive my lack of git-fu, but which commit did this? Can we name & shame
4 >> the author and committer publicly, and in front of QA, so that this kind of
5 >> violation is highlighted to all, and noted for future reference?
6 >>
7 > I left it out on purpose. This isn't a one-person problem, and my anger
8 > isn't only targeted at the last person who was unlucky enough to do it
9 > right before I snapped and wrote the email.
10 >
11 > This comes up on the -dev list several times a year. We've fought about
12 > ecosystems adding dependencies to stable packages via eclass USE flags.
13 > We fight about the revision policy in the devmanual. We've been fighting
14 > about dynamic dependencies in the package manager for 10+ years. The
15 > portage team basically quit once over this. A few years later we fought
16 > about it again and finally turned them off, but the commit got reverted
17 > when users complained that developers were constantly breaking things.
18 > That contributed to a fork of the package manager...
19 >
20 > Point is, it's not a new thing. And it's a huge waste of time for
21 > everyone involved. It's also simple to avoid. Just make a new revision
22 > when you change something. You shouldn't be changing stable ebuilds
23 > *anyway*, but if you're already going to violate that policy, it doesn't
24 > do any more harm to move it to -r1 in the process.
25 >
26 I think the policy on this in the devmanual/etc is a little too vague. My
27 impression is that changes to an ebuild which make a material difference to
28 the files installed, should definitely be rev-bumped, but certain other
29 changes, and bug fixes, don't need this as they result in missing
30 functionality being rectified/restored.
31
32 Personally, because I have yet to see any revbumps beyond about -r5 I don't
33 think we would have a problem in reality if everyone bumped the revision
34 *regardless* on *any* change, and we dealt with the consequences *that*
35 way. When/If we get to -r99 on a package perhaps we can revisit this topic,
36 and why so many updates are necessary to a "stable release" (!).
37
38 I sense that the problem boils down to a lack of 'warm bodies' and people
39 making poor decisions or lazy decisions because of a need to move something
40 forward, without properly considering the wider implications of their
41 'shortcuts'. This isn't a problem likely to be solved soon, however, and
42 becomes a meta-problem of another sort.
43
44 However, I'm noting a number of quite angry posts arriving on the public
45 lists, because we have Hard Problems that are creating issues for those
46 attempting to contribute. I think that if you find you're reaching this
47 threshold, perhaps its time for you to take a break, get some air, and
48 consider whether you have the resources to fix the underlying problem, or
49 whether you can tolerate the status quo. Nothing is going to change fast,
50 and will likely require a lot of compromises on the way. That said, there
51 is no harm in trying new things, and accepting that some ideas may have to
52 be reversed. But let's not continue to throw too many daggers across the
53 lists, as it doesn't do anybody any favours, beyond venting frustrations.
54
55 </my2cents>