From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [discussion] GitHub eclass
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:37:44
1 On 22 February 2013 19:53, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov <mva@×××.name> wrote:
2 > Hi there!
3 >
4 > Since we have tons of ebuild (including -9999) for software, that uses
5 > GitHub for sourcecode hosting — I've got an idea to write something
6 > like GitHub eclass, which will ease creating of such ebuilds (by
7 > providing "sugar" functions) and, (main goal for me) by adding
8 > possibility to switch between forks (by redefining variables on emerge
9 > run). For example (theoretical usecase):
10 >
11 > We have, for example, lua-socket-9999, that uses:
12 > GH_AUTHOR=diegonehab
13 > GH_PROJECT=lua-socket
14 > GH_BRANCH=unstable
15 >
16 > So, then I fork it and provide some features. And then I want to
17 > reemerge it from my fork, but I don't want to rewrite ebuild. So, then I do:
18 > # GH_AUTHOR="msva" GH_BRANCH=master emerge =lua-socket-9999
19 > and it repulls sources from my fork, reemerge it and installs fine.
20
21 I'd make sure to add some sort of easy support to switch to
22 snapshotted tar.gz installs instead of live git checkouts, ie:
23
24 GH_SNAPSHOT=deadbeef # use commit id 'deadbeef' by fetching a tar.gz
25 from github instead of a git clone
28 Kent