From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Gratuitous useflaggery (doc and examples)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 21:08:38
1 MIkey posted <200603041818.k24IIJCS011711@×××××××××××××××.net>, excerpted
2 below, on Sat, 04 Mar 2006 12:18:22 -0600:
3
4 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 12:04:11 -0600 MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >> | At my job we aim to eventually rid ourselves completely of MS
8 >> | products on several thousand (local and remote) desktops and replace
9 >> | them with some sort of thin linux client running the citrix metaframe
10 >> | client. They will be running in kiosk mode. No user will have the
11 >> | ability to get to a window manager and browse around
12 >> | in /usr/share/doc. They don't even know what the heck a man page is.
13 >>
14 >> Then you should use INSTALL_MASK, not a USE flag.
15 >
16 > Please excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is INSTALL_MASK and where is
17 > it documented? Can it exclude things from being included in binary
18 > packages?
19
20 INSTALL_MASK is similar to the CONFIG_PROTECT and CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK
21 portage variables in that it takes a list of directories (or files,
22 wildcarding is acceptable), settable in make.conf. portage will still
23 package those files in binary packages, but won't install anything that
24 matches INSTALL_MASK. Thus, you can stick /usr/doc and /usr/share/doc in
25 it, and snag anything that would be installed to them.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
31 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list