From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package sub-categories, directory performance, and benchmarking
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:30:37
1 On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 12:37 +0100, Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
2 > Many (most?) of these are written in bash, a language with the several
3 > remarkable features, one of them being that writing recursive functions is a
4 > pain.
5
6 Don't bash bash... it's just... too funny.
7
8 > If you wanted to consider rolling out sub-categories, I very much think that
9 > for practical reasons, each package would need _one_ primary/canonical
10 > category of depth one.
11
12 I completely agree here. Everything should be subjected to some form of
13 categorization. Also, would we keep the same "major" categories (app,
14 dev, games, gnome, kde, media, net, (sound?,) sys, www, x11, xfce) or
15 would we devise a completely new set? After all, *everything* would
16 probably fit under app, at least when sub-categories are possible.
19 Chris Gianelloni
20 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
21 Games - Developer
22 Gentoo Linux