From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:06:59
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:58:26 -0500
Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
> Why is an in-kernel initramfs so bad anyway? I am baffled. Its quite > nice to have a minimal recovery env in case mounting fails, etc, etc, > etc.
Because the initramfs is just replacing what / used to be, and it's even less well handled than "stuff not in /usr" is just now. All using an initramfs does is move the dependencies problem from somewhere where we have a solution that used to work and that still mostly works to somewhere where we don't have anything at all. -- Ciaran McCreesh