From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:06:59
1 On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:58:26 -0500
2 Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
3 > Why is an in-kernel initramfs so bad anyway? I am baffled. Its quite
4 > nice to have a minimal recovery env in case mounting fails, etc, etc,
5 > etc.
6
7 Because the initramfs is just replacing what / used to be, and it's
8 even less well handled than "stuff not in /usr" is just now. All using
9 an initramfs does is move the dependencies problem from somewhere where
10 we have a solution that used to work and that still mostly works to
11 somewhere where we don't have anything at all.
14 Ciaran McCreesh