From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 19:15:54
1 Hi,
2
3 A few details.. I find '~stable:<arch>' a bit odd.. "unstable stable"
4
5 Maybe one year is still too short? I'd propose a much longer period (3
6 years), I understand that this is a lot of work for the infrastructure,
7 but even at 3 years, its max 12 ebuilds per package...
8
9 And there should be an easy way to stay on an old release and just
10 update security fixes... And also, there should be a small team that
11 controls access to that tree in between releases. To make sure that only
12 essential stuff is committed and that enough QA is done.. Maybe just the
13 GLSA team or something. I have servers that have been running Debian
14 stable for years without updating anything outside security fixes.. and
15 Gentoo is not an option there if I can't have that kind of stability.
16 But I'm very excited about using Gentoo in those kind of situations too!
19 Olivier CrĂȘte
20 tester@g.o
21 Gentoo Developer
22