From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Rethinking multilib flags in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 May 2019 10:19:21
1 On Wed, 08 May 2019 12:01:21 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 2019-05-08 at 11:54 +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 08 May 2019 11:41:41 +0200
6 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > > There's multilib that adds a lot of flags with a single eclass
9 > > > > change, but I'd guess the number of packages and flags is
10 > > > > constantly growing, so sooner or later you'll be hit by this
11 > > > > again and no multilib killing will help you then.
12 > > > >
13 > > > > I think it is more future proof to use the addition of multilib
14 > > > > flags to fix pkgcheck rather than actively reducing the number
15 > > > > of multilib flags to cope with its limitations.
16 > > >
17 > > > Then please do it, by all means. The reality is simple. If the
18 > > > tool is broken, you either fix it or stop doing what you know
19 > > > that breaks it. Being unable to do the former, and having no good
20 > > > replacement, I'd go for the latter.
21 > >
22 > > Well, why is it slow ? IO ? CPU ? Did you collect profiling data ?
23 >
24 > CPU definitely. More detail than that, I don't and I don't have time
25 > to investigate.
26
27 So you don't have time to change 3 lines to add cProfile but do have
28 time to send various emails and rework the entire multilib system ?
29 weird.
32 > > > > Also, remember that multilib is not entirely about skype or
33 > > > > slack, this was made with multibin in mind too: for example an
34 > > > > ABI may perform better than another one on specific workflows
35 > > > > (x32) and it may make sense to use this abi for a specific
36 > > > > binary (which would be manually built for now).
37 > > >
38 > > > No, it weren't. Just because someone found it convenient to use
39 > > > the design beyond its original purpose doesn't mean it had a
40 > > > different purpose. Besides, how many 'multibin' packages do we
41 > > > have right now?
42 > >
43 > > It was, because portage multilib was doing this and claimed to have
44 > > a use for this.
45 >
46 > I am not talking of 'portage multilib'. I am talking of
47 > multilib-build implementation. If you are only concerned about the
48 > former, we can surely drop those abi_* flags that are irrelevant to
49 > it, can't we?
50
51 I am also talking about multilib-build and its way of doing cleanly and
52 replacing portage multilib.
55 > > Its original purpose was generic enough to allow multibin
56 > > to be added easily. The number of multibin packages is only
57 > > relevant to show that this is not important enough for someone
58 > > to step up and do it: Everybody can easily build anything themselves
59 > > with the current implementation.
60 >
61 > Exactly. And that's why I believe having fast CI is more important
62 > than DIY multibin. If someone can 'easily build anything
63 > themselves', they can also add needed flags locally.
66 It's a "little" more complex than just adding one flag to an eclass and
67 cannot really be done with an overlay; in the end, this requires to fork
68 gentoo.git more or less.