From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Changes in installed ebuilds
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 22:50:50
1 hasufell wrote:
2
3 > Jörg Schaible:
4 >> Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Mon, 2014-06-23 at 22:15 +0200, Jörg Schaible wrote:
7 >>>> So, why the heck, was the dependency to dev-libs/glib changed for an
8 >>>> existing ebuild without increasing its version (e.g.
9 >>>> dbus-glib-0.100.2-r2)?
10 >>>
11 >>> Please see http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/91615
12 >>
13 >> These blocks had nothing to do with the multilibs ABI. It has been just
14 >> the updated versions for the dependencies.
17 > I'm not sure if you understood the bug. It was breaking dependency
18 > calculation of portage, so the fallout you see is minor to what was
19 > going on.
22 The dependency calculation worked perfectly, it just could not resolve them
23 anymore, because those suddenly required newer packages are hard masked on
24 my system to keep the software *I* need for my daily work running.
27 > Revbumping and restabilizing all of these packages (a LOT) would have
28 > been unrealistic.
31 And the question was, why was the version for these deps upgraded in those
32 ebuild at all. The official tree did not contain anything older anyway.
35 > Another possibility would have been to revbump the ebuild and make it
36 > instantly stable without arch teams involvement. That would actually be
37 > the cleaner way, but afair some people don't agree with that, so it
38 > isn't standard practice.
39 >
40 > However, you can still overwrite tree ebuilds in your local overlay and
41 > revert dependencies. I once did that with pypy, because it triggered too
42 > many rebuilds for me.
45 That's what I did in the end for all "bumped" ebuilds, but the effort would
46 not have been necessary at all.
47
48 - Jörg