From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: rsync mirror security (WAS: Re: [gentoo-dev] .gitignore)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 21:01:42
1 Dnia 2015-08-10, o godz. 23:47:21
2 Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 22:13:23 +0200 hasufell wrote:
5 > > On 08/10/2015 05:09 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 > > > On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
7 > > >>
8 > > >> Expanding on this: the rsync master creates the following
9 > > >> files/directories under metatdata. On my own system, I like to symlink
10 > > >> them to locations outside my repo so that related portage features
11 > > >> continue to work.
12 > > >>
13 > > >> I would like to have these added in .gitignore.
14 > > >>
15 > > >> metadata/dtd/ # used by something?
16 > > >> metadata/glsa/ # used by the GLSA utilities?
17 > > >> matadata/herds.xml # used by equery from gentoolkit
18 > > >> metadata/news/ # used by eselect news
19 > > >>
20 > > >
21 > > > As a side note, it probably wouldn't hurt to set up a guide for
22 > > > running git on /usr/portage, including setting up these symlinks,
23 > > > running egencache after emerge --sync, etc. I imagine that this is a
24 > > > configuration that many developers will tend to use, and with the
25 > > > advent of git we may see more users who tend to contribute doing the
26 > > > same.
27 > > >
28 > >
29 > > In fact, this should be the recommended way of running gentoo for
30 > > everyone. Our rsync methods are still inherently insecure (unless I
31 > > missed something), because:
32 > > 1. machine key
33 > > 2. profiles, eclasses and so on are not covered with a
34 > > signature/Manifest anyway
35 >
36 > Not unless metadata cache will be synced too from a trusted source.
37 > It takes too much time to generate, especially on non-brand-new
38 > hardware.
39
40 Err, it takes around 2 minutes to generate full cache with pkgcore on
41 some old Xeon. Updates are much faster.
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny
46 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>