From: Thierry Carrez <koon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] where goes Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:27:51
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 >>There have been some really interesting points brought up recently
3 >>about "where is Gentoo going?"
4 >
5 > It feels like this topic comes up every year :)
6
7 I'd say it should come up a little more often :)
8
9 >>I have been wondering that myself.
10 >>Some people seem to think that Gentoo has the potential to be an
11 >>enterprise player.
12 >
13 > Maybe, maybe not ... but I don't see why we couldn't do a little bit
14 > more to make it easier for others to use us as a base.
15 >
16 > Isn't that what *we're* about - being a metadistribution?
17
18 If we follow the "metadistribution" trail we should have a set of
19 high-level tools that really help people manage their own binary
20 packages building and deployment. We (all?) know that the underlying
21 technology is already in Gentoo, but there are still no authoritative
22 tool(s) to :
23
24 1- help rolling your own distribution based on Gentoo
25 - tool to maintain frozen Portage trees
26 - tool to roll out a software update pack including config files
27 - ...
28
29 2- help centralizing packages deployment on several workstations
30 - help test software update packs on gold systems
31 - push packages to multiple systems
32 - do accountability on what's installed on systems
33 - ...
34
35 I'm not talking about releasing an "Enterprise-oriented" flavor of
36 Gentoo, I'm just talking about enabling people to do so and the minimal
37 deployment tools needed in a 5+ machine network.
38
39 The size of the Portage tree gives us a definitive advantage : you can
40 have 100% Portage-packages systems, so what's-in-this-box accountability
41 is not the nightmare it can be with other systems that heavily rely on
42 third-party RPMs. We should exploit that advantage.
45 Thierry Carrez (Koon)
46 --
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list