From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Response to a "friendly note" about changing bug reports
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2013 13:56:06
1 On Wed, 2013-08-07 at 09:35 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 7 Aug 2013 11:04:28 +0200
4 > > "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
5 > >> That's fine, bug wranglers are doing a great job there.
6 > >>
7 > >> However, I'm also sick of getting bugmail because $RANDOM_DEV thinks
8 > >> * TRACKER is better than Tracker,
9 > >> * every atom needs a "=" in front, and
10 > >
11 > > This is wrong btw. Some people already closed some bugs like 'rekeyword
12 > > =cat/pkg-version' because said version was not in tree anymore. Heck,
13 > > this was months later and there was a newer version. Now I just fill
14 > > 'rekeyword latest cat/pkg' and expect people not to mess with summary.
15 >
16 > I think the proper workflow in a situation like this is:
17 >
18 > 1. (Optional) Random interested party sends bug to maintainer asking
19 > for keywording. That one is not tagged with a version for the reasons
20 > you state.
21 >
22 > 2. Maintainer agrees and picks a stable candidate, and modifies the
23 > subject to include a specific version. At the appropriate time archs
24 > are CC'ed.
25 >
26 > If you want to STABLEREQ a package you can't just target the "latest
27 > version" - maintainers should be picking stable targets and many
28 > maintainers bump packages weekly and drop the old version so that none
29 > of them hit the 30-day threshold. Maintainers should be cooperative
30 > in getting packages stabilized as long as it makes sense (some
31 > packages are inherently incompatible with the stable concept, such as
32 > ones dependent on some cloud API that changes without warning).
33 >
34 > Rich
35
36 Alexis was talking about KEYWORDREQ, not STABLEREQ. When asking to readd
37 a keyword, you almost always want that keyword for whatever is the
38 highest version in a specific slot, even if that version has been in the
39 tree for three days, and you filed the keywording bug two months ago.