From: Christian Axelsson <smiler@××××××××××.nu>
To: Matt Rickard <frogger@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] chroot USE flag?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:41:18
1 On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 02:49, Matt Rickard wrote:
2 > On 18 Jul 2003 01:15:00 -0400
3 > Brandon Hale <brandon@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > I propose a new USE flag for a few key services that would install the
5 > > package in a chroot "out of the box." This idea was inspired by a
6 > > conversation between Greg Fitzgerald (gregf) and myself on applying
7 > > ideas from OpenBSD to Gentoo. Another source of inspiration is the
8 > > excelent pkg_config code in the latest bind9 ebuilds. I further
9 > > discussed this idea w/ memebers of the gentoo-hardened team and
10 > > further crystalized the workings of such a flag. I would propose that
11 > > the ebuild include two conditional install proceedures keyed on the
12 > > chroot USE flag. The only possible problem I forsee is building
13 > > devices inside the sandbox, which could be accomplished in
14 > > pkg_postinstall as a last resort. I would be happy for any feedback or
15 > > further development of this idea.
16 >
17 > I think this is a good idea. A chroot USE flag would allow daemons to
18 > be chrooted transparently without users having to manually ebuild
19 > config. Chroot building could be done in the sandbox, and as Brandon
20 > mentioned, we could create the device files with pkg_postinst. These
21 > could be removed with pkg_postrm explicitly.
22 >
23 > Eventually I would like to see this USE flag apply to more daemons than
24 > just bind. I don't know which other packages in portage currently have
25 > chrooting options (anyone help me out here?), but I'd at least like to
26 > see this for ntpd and apache to start.
27
28 PowerDNS is another, apache can run chrooted (but you loose a few
29 features, but on a production server those shouldnt be very important).
30 I bet there are many we-run-as-root servers out there that fairly easy
31 can be chrooted (actually in theory you can chroot almost all services).
32
33 I propose yes to this aswell.
36 Christan Axelsson
37 smiler@××××××××××.nu