From: Peter Alfredsen <loki_val@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55 updated
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 18:49:39
1 On Sun, 17 May 2009 22:54:38 +0530
2 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Peter Alfredsen
5 > <loki_val@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On Sun, 17 May 2009 17:56:06 +0200
7 > > Piotr JaroszyƄski <peper@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> I know gentoo has other problems too, but it's the new and
10 > >> innovative stuff that makes working on Gentoo fun.
11 > >
12 > > YES !
15 > I sincerely hope that was sarcasm.
16
17 I don't want us to get to a place where every single new feature has to
18 be delayed by the objection "We've got basic bugs we need to fix
19 first." That's just unreasonable and a straw man. I get my kicks from
20 improving things, not from fixing broken things. You may object and say
21 they're one and the same, and you would not be wrong, but the emphasis
22 *is* different.
23
24 People seem to not see that in the case of GLEP 55 and some call for a
25 moratorium on new features till we've fixed the bugs that already
26 exist. Not gonna happen. The human spirit is what's driving Gentoo,
27 giving it life. Our aspirations to improve the world around us lives
28 and breathes with every ebuild we churn out. World domination is our
29 goal and we won't get there by letting the maintainer-needed queue bog
30 us down.
31
32 I think that it's obvious to everybody that the problem GLEP 55 is
33 solving is real. To me, .ebuild-$eapi/.eapi-$eapi.eb looks like the best
34 solution, all things considered. From a purely unixy point-of-view, I
35 see the cleanliness of a shebang EAPI definition, and that would be my
36 second choice, but we need a solution we can use now. Not a year from
37 now. Time really does matter.
38
39 My dislike for the GLEP 55 process is my main reason for supporting
40 GLEP 55 as-is. If we can skip just one more 50-mail thread because of
41 GLEP55, it will be worth the extra work of typing -$eapi every now and
42 then. Because seriously, if ever there was a mailing list topic whose
43 only effect has been to act like a succubus, GLEP 55 is it.
44
45 ( In other words: No sarcasm intended )
46
47 /loki_val