From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 20:57:47
1 On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:53 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 > Dean Stephens schrieb:
4 >
5 >>> Suppose that the council decides to accept an appeal from comrel. Is it
6 >>> a conflict of interest for a member of the council who is also a member
7 >>> of comrel to vote in the appeal? If it isn't, it is at least a pretty
8 >>> strong perception that it is.
9 >>>
10 >> Why? How? Exactly what sort of conflicting interest is supposed to be
11 >> present?
12 >
13 > I think in Comrel vs. Council is not a conflict of interest, but rather
14 > throwing the appeals process off balance. Can you expect someone to neutrally
15 > review material and actions (question the authenticity of evidence, identify
16 > potential misconduct, etc.) that they themselves used to build the case
17 > against the reprimanded?
20 I hope that Comrel does not consider it their main duty to build cases
21 against community members. They're supposed to investigate, mediate,
22 and take action if necessary. They aren't prosecutors.
25 Rich