From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: [gentoo-security] Trojan for Gentoo, part 2]
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:06:52
1 On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 12:19 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Sunday 07 November 2004 05:56, Joshua Brindle wrote:
3 > > perhaps some motivation for portage devs....
4 > >
5 > > See bug #26110
6 >
7 > The bug was originally about versioning eclasses, which has very little to do
8 > with adding a trojan.
9 As long as there are no eclass versions they can be modified without any
10 checks detecting it. That was one of the things the original poster
11 found to be very lacking since it even allows for "evil" eclasses.
12
13 Also, having no versioning available makes the propagation of new
14 (bugfix) eclasses a bit more difficult than neccessary.
15
16 > There is already another bug open for digesting and
17 > signing eclasses.
18 Which still doesn't address the versioning problem which reminds many of
19 the windows "dll hell" problem.
20
21 > And no, people that have attitudes similar to that of this
22 > ex-user provide no motivation at all.
23 I think he is an ex-user because his critique and his ideas were always
24 rejected without good explanation. That there might be a security
25 problem at such a fundamental level has been known, iirc, for 2 years.
26 Nothing visible has been done about it. I'd quit such a bunch of madmen
27 too ;-)
28
29 I hope that his sample trojan has at least warned you all that an "evil"
30 person can bypass most of our security without too much trouble. Please
31 don't just ignore it "because he yells at us". Just think what he'd do
32 if he felt a need to show you a real-life exploit "because you don't
33 listen". (Not that he'd do it, but someone else might, now that the idea
34 has had such a high visibility)
35
36 In the spirit of S.Ballmer:
37 "Security! Security! Security! SECURITY! WAAAAH!"
38
39 Patrick