From: Sherman Boyd <meekrob@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] vile and more
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:39:35
1 On Tue, 2002-03-26 at 02:55, Jan Wells wrote:
2 <snip>
3 > You're using grub. Here, multi-boot is achieved via System Commander,
4 > with lilo residing under /boot on the second of my two SCSI drives. The
5 > arrangement causes grief with kernel updates. Or in my hands, it does.
6 > How would gentoo react to being installed on the second drive, I
7 > wonder? grub would need to be installed on the first partion of the
8 > first drive (along with three DOSs plus NT)? I've become attached to my
9 > familiar System Commander, but maybe you would advise getting rid of it
10 > in favor of grub.
11
12 Grub is pretty awesome Jan. I don't know too much about system commander,
13 but the great thing about grub is that you can change things on the fly.
14 For example you can create a new kernel and boot to it interactively instead
15 of adding it to the menu. Perhaps you add a friends hard drive, and need to
16 boot off it for some obscure reason ... you can do it interactively from the
17 boot prompt. Grub is good. Check out this grub tutorial by Daniel Robbins:
18
19 http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/linux-onlinecourse-bytit
20 le/0F1731DC664023B7862569D0005C44AF?OpenDocument
21
22 You have to register with developerworks but it is worth it. Of course
23 check out the GNU Grub home page:
24
25 http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
26
27 and the original grub documentation:
28
29 http://www.uruk.org/orig-grub/
30
31 Don't switch to anything you're not comfortable with, but I highly recommend
32 grub. By the way, this thread may not be appropriate for the developer
33 list, I think it belongs in gentoo-users.
34
35 meekrob