From: Daniel Campbell <contact@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New website: Where the .... is the ....ing documentation link?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 05:58:52
1 On 04/04/2015 09:42 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > TL;DR: (1) Please consider either making Documentation a top-level-menu
3 > link (preferable), or at least change Support to Support and
4 > Documentation. (2) On the documentation lander page, add a "one big
5 > list" link to a browser-keyword-searchable list of docs, like the old
6 > docs project page had.
7 >
8 > Looking for the news glep to double-check the title header max char limit
9 > (for the shorewall news-item thread was the first time I've had to use
10 > the new website.
11 >
12 > I *HATE* it! It's a NIGHTMARE to navigate, compared to the old one!
13 >
14 > There's all this nice fuzzy buzzword bingo, but actually FINDING anything
15 > like DOCUMENTATION is an exercise in frustration!
16 >
17 > OK, no direct docs link. Well, "getting started" should have a nice
18 > documentation link, since you don't get far on gentoo without docs... No,
19 > not there... Well then, "learn more" CERTAINLY must lead to
20 > documentation allowing you to do just that!... BLECH!!! NO!!! Nothing
21 > there but more buzzword bingo (and a contact link and links to share more
22 > of my interests with privacy-insensitive corporations that already know
23 > too much about me at the bottom). OK, OK, Get involved must SURELY have
24 > that doc link, since people will need some documentation in ordered to do
25 > so!... Ugh, another rabbit trail... Oh, DUH! Must be under SUPPORT! OK,
26 > there it is!
27 >
28 > But even if I KNOW to look under support, it's STILL two clicks to
29 > documentation, where it WAS just one!
30 >
31 > And once on the documentation page, again, a whole bunch of fuzzy
32 > categories! Where's the "one big list" link, where a simple browser
33 > keyword search will immediately find the document for configuring gentoo
34 > for whatever fancy technology you're wanting to get up and running, be it
35 > something fancy like mdraid or lvm, or more basic like one's init system
36 > of choice or sound or OpenGL?
37 >
38 > But at least put a nice direct one-click link to docs direct on the front
39 > page. Please?
40 >
41 > (Tho unless it's directly in the main copy, I guess it'd still be two,
42 > since you have to click that weird icon with no actual words saying it's
43 > a menu, to open that, before you actually click what you want... *IF* you
44 > can actually find or guess what it's called... on the waaayyy too vague
45 > menu.)
48 In case others have trouble: it's under Support -> Documentation. It
49 leads you to a page that lets you search the wiki, or pick the category
50 your needs fit under.
51
52 I found it without issue, and I hadn't used the new layout yet. Aside
53 from the Devmanual, most of Gentoo's docs are on the wiki, so you could
54 make a bookmark and setup a search shortcut for it. Just bookmark the
55 following address in Firefox:
56
57 https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?search=%s
58
59 Give it a keyword like 'gdocs' or something, then you can do "gdocs
60 Alsa" and it'll search the wiki for ALSA. I'm not sure how it's done in
61 Opera or Chrom[e|ium].