From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA bikeshed: killing USE=dedicated in favor of uniform USE=client+server
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 10:31:35
1 On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 4:31 AM, Daniel Campbell (zlg) <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > Based on what I'm seeing in this thread, the problem seems to center
3 > around the description and application of the `dedicated` flag. I'm
4 > fully in favor of the `server` and `client` flags because they're
5 > clear and consistent.
6
7 ++
8
9 > *However*, it was mentioned elsewhere in the thread that some games
10 > don't allow a client and a server at the same time.
11
12 Can we actually get an example of one before we go making policy based
13 on what seems like a really strange case (one which I'm skeptical
14 actually exists)?
15
16 It seems that in these cases either REQUIRED_USE gets used, but
17 preferentially the build system should be fixed or the package should
18 be split.
19
20 > With the games.eclass deprecated, I don't really have a "good practice" guide
21 > for making gaming ebuilds.
22
23 Just make them like any other ebuild. The main thing games.eclass did
24 was force users to be in the games group to run games, and install
25 them in a special location.
26
27 The eclass isn't officially deprecated, but it probably should be.
28 You should install a game just like you'd install a word-processor or
29 a web browser. It is just another desktop application (99% of the
30 time).
33 Rich