From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 01:28:59
1 Hi Michał,
2
3 Michał Górny wrote:
4 > major problems with some of the posters for more than a year.
5
6 Please believe me when I say that I know what this feels like.
7
8 I want to applaud and thank everyone who has been tackling/discussing
9 this issue in private, and I especially want to applaud taking action!
10
11 I however disagree with the proposal to move the problem.
12
13 I would like to encourage everyone, but in particular devs, to watch
14 this 18 min talk by Donnie Berkholz from 2012, about Gentoo actually:
15
16 Assholes are Ruining Your Project
17 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZSli7QW4rg
18
19 If you don't want to, then the most important take-away as stated by
20 Donnie and supported by my own experience having "my" project ruined
21 is:
22
23 Do not tolerate bad behavior by anyone!
26 > The problems of more abusive behavior from some of the mailing list
27 > members have been reported to ComRel numerous times. After the failure
28 > of initial enforcement, I'm not aware of ComRel doing anything to solve
29 > the problem.
30
31 While reading your message, I kept thinking to myself: "isn't this
32 the very purpose of ComRel?"
33
34 I only have a non-dev understanding of ComRel, but I agree with Matt that
35 inaction in this situation is a failure of ComRel, and that should not be
36 to the detriment of any constructive contributor on gentoo-dev.
39 > A. Bans can be trivially evaded
40 > B. People should be allowed to express their opinion
41
42 Mh, so-so. It is important to take action which clearly rejects
43 unacceptable behavior. Otherwise any behavior is per definition
44 implicitly accepted, which attracts assholes.
47 > C. The replies of Gentoo developers were worse
48
49 This should *also* not be accepted. Equal standards for what is
50 acceptable and what is not must apply to everyone.
51
52 It could be argued that different people deserve different sanctions.
53 I would agree with that only as far as there is a mentoring process in
54 place, requiring a third party to work on eliminating bad behavior.
55
56 I think that's the purpose of DevRel for developer<->developer, and
57 ComRel for developer<->non-developer.
58
59 Yes, such mentoring requires a non-negligable committment to
60 non-trivial work.
61
62 It is clearly not always possible to mentor bad behavior away. Then
63 that person must be shut out to save the environment, whether a
64 long-standing developer or not!
67 Coming back to the concrete proposal, I think a better course of
68 action is to demonstrate strong leadership, by speaking out in force
69 against bad behavior, every time.
70
71 In order to have something to lean on, it can be super helpful to
72 have a code-of-conduct in place, and was already mentioned.
73
74 I had to think about code-of-conduct for a long time, before my
75 mental model of them "clicked". I consider them to be about
76 explicitly stating the community expectations for good behavior,
77 and as an agreed-upon reference for (sometimes unpleasant, but
78 incredibly important) forceful action in reponse to bad behavior.
81 > The alternative suggested by ComRel pretty much boiled down to 'ignore
82 > the trolls'.
83
84 I find this highly inadequate.
87 I urge either ComRel or other leadership to take as forceful action
88 as is neccessary against bad behavior, to uphold a healthy
89 environment.
90
91 Selective moderation is a more technically sophisticated ban. If
92 possible that's cool. If not possible that's perfectly fine. Just
93 ban. Keep banning if the bad behavior resurfaces with another
94 identity.
95
96 Please do not relent. It is not fair to yourself or your colleagues.
99 Thank you and keep up the excellent effort everyone
100
101 //Peter