From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to stabilize packages with frequent release cycles?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 20:08:40
1 Hi,
2
3 > When the latest release remains 'latest ~arch' for less than 3 days,
4 > stabilizing it after 30 days makes little sense. After all, people with
5 > frequent upgrade cycle will test it for no more than that, and people
6 > with infrequent upgrade cycle may miss the version entirely.
7
8 > Do you have any suggestions how we could improve this?
9
10 At first we need a strict definition of "stable" and "testing", then we
11 can discuss how to stabilize.
12
13 The list of requirements should be testable like
14
15 if (old_enough AND no_bugs_with_security_tag AND all_deps_stable AND ...
16 ) then stable
17
18 We should have a vote which properties are required and stick to these
19 more strictly in future.
20
21 And a stabilization tool, which is part of gentoo and hosted at gentoo
22 will check these properties.
25 Best,
26 Jonas