From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Council Agenda 20100809 rev 01
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 11:28:53
1 On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 16:47:42 +0530
2 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Uh, it *was* requested for a vote, and the Council decided instead
4 > > to vote on something else and not upon what was asked.
5 >
6 > So you ask again in the next meeting. And if it happens again, you
7 > file a protest. If it still happens, write a GLEP to prevent issues
8 > from being deferred indefinitely. Do I really need to give you ideas
9 > on how to stubbornly push proposals through?
10
11 When we *did* repeatedly push for GLEP 55 discussion and acceptance, we
12 were told that we were pushing it too hard and that it was creating too
13 much noise. When we scale back and only give it a minimum of attention
14 when related topics come up, we're told we should be pushing over and
15 over again and protesting.
16
17 Whichever way we go, someone's going to moan. I am glad to see,
18 however, that the only remaining objections to GLEP 55 are on purely
19 procedural matters...
20
21 > There also comes a time when repeatedly bringing up a GLEP that you
22 > have no interest in getting approved becomes rude and
23 > counterproductive.
24
25 GLEP 55 is brought up when it's the appropriate answer to a problem
26 someone raises. It is no longer being pushed purely on its own,
27 because when it was pushed on its own there were complaints that it
28 was being discussed too much.
29
30 As for no interest in getting it approved, that's clearly nonsense as
31 you know fine well. Past experience has shown that repeatedly asking
32 for Council discussion on it does absolutely nothing to get it
33 approved, so we don't do that any more.
34
35 > > It's extremely misleading of you to claim that it's the
36 > > responsibility of the GLEP 55 authors to push it to the Council at
37 > > this point. That was already tried several times, and got nowhere.
38 >
39 > It is excessively misleading of you to claim that Brian said that the
40 > GLEP 55 *authors* should push it to the Council. Nice strawman. He
41 > made a simple statement: The people who want the GLEP should either
42 > put it up for vote and settle it's status, or stop wasting everyone's
43 > time and let it die.
44
45 Been there, done that, got nowhere.
48 Ciaran McCreesh