From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: RESTRICT=interactive
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:04:54
1 >>> Title: RESTRICT=interactive
2 >> I'd say it's good idea, although isn't RESTRICT=interactive a slight
3 >> misnomer? You are enforcing interactiveness, not restricting it :)
4 >> Although RESTRICT="non-interactive" sounds weird too, and introducing
5 >> new variable would be bloating.
6
7 If you look at every other RESTRICT match you will find they follow a
8 similar "backwards" pattern.
9
10 RESTRICT="fetch" -> turns off fetching
11 RESTRICT="strip" -> don't strip binaries
12 RESTRICT="test" -> Don't call pkg_test
13 RESTRICT="interactive" -> This ebuild is interactive.
14
15 If you read it like you are placing a specific restriction:
16 "A {test,strip,fetch,interactive} restriction on the ebuild"
17 then the naming scheme makes a bit more sense.
18
19 Note above; we are not "enforcing interactiveness." Originally ebuilds
20 were not supposed to be interactive; I would say it is still frowned
21 upon by many people. However we have to accept that interactivity is
22 required in certain instances and this metadata allows people to ignore
23 these ebuilds when doing things like automated ebuild testing...unless
24 the games team wants to donate all the media for their games ;)
25
26 As for the GLEP itself; I'd like to see some patches, particularly for
27 the resolver to show the restriction up front. Also a patch to the
28 ebuild.5 manpage for RESTRICT=interactive prior to seeing the glep get
29 approved.
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list