From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 03:41:06
1 On 07/01/2013 11:29 PM, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 07/01/2013 09:56 PM, Greg KH wrote:> On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at
3 > 09:36:21PM -0400, Richard Yao wrote:
4 >>> That is because fixes for other filesystems are either held back by a
5 >>> lack of system kernel updates or held hostage by regressions in newer
6 >>> kernels on certain hardware.
7 >>
8 >> I have never heard this being a reason for keeping code upstream, what
9 >> do you mean by it?
10 >
11 > This is an issue that end users tend to encounter where changes in a
12 > newer kernel break stuff that they need. One example is nouveau kexec
13 > support. Another is that the nouveau in the first two RCs of Linux 3.7
14 > (if I recall) broke my display completely.
15
16 I probably should clarify that this issue keeps some users from
17 obtaining bug fixes in key components (e.g. their filesystem). That is
18 why I prefer the situation where code lives out-of-tree and works on a
19 variety of kernels over the situation where it is bundled with the
20 kernel for in-tree builds.