From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 13:05:56
1 On 10/19/2017 06:32 PM, Hanno Böck wrote:
2 >
3 > Counterproposal: Just use SHA512.
4 >
5 > There isn't any evidence that any SHA2-based hash algorithm is going to
6 > be broken any time soon. If that changes there will very likely be
7 > decades of warning before a break becomes practical.
10 Every WiFi network on the planet essentially became Starbucks overnight
11 on Sunday->Monday, so in my opinion we shouldn't bet against immediate
12 and catastrophic failure of anything, no matter how well-tested.