From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installing with GCC 3.0.x
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:13:58
1 On Wednesday 27 March 2002 03:14, Preston A. Elder wrote:
2 > Before I start this, I'll introduce myself.
3 >
4 > I'm a professional programmer, working in C, C++, Java, Perl, TCL and
5 > shell. I'm qualified to be a professional systems administrator (tho I
6 > do not work in that field right now, just dabble with my 9 systems at
7 > home). I write Magick IRC Services (http://www.magick.tm), and run
8 > GOTH.NET (http://www.goth.net). I also have a few other side-projects.
9 >
10 > I've been using GCC 3.0.x since they first came out, and had fairly
11 > good luck with it, however this is the first time I've tried to build
12 > most of my system with it. The way I went about this was to boostrap
13 > gentoo as usual, and then emerge system as usual, however, after I did
14 > the emerge system, the first thing I did was install gcc 3.0.4, so
15 > anything on top of the default system (including any upgrades that may
16 > have come out since install) are built with 3.0.4.
17 >
18 Hi,
19
20 I'm not a member of the system/core team myself, but there are three things I
21 can tell you, just to give you a view of the current gentoo/gcc3 situation:
22
23 One is, that a few days ago Daniel Robbins posted the following on gentoo-core
24 (the developer-only mailing list):
25 ------------
26 [gentoo-core] gcc3 is happening *after* 1.0
27 From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> (Gentoo Technologies, Inc.)
28 To: gentoo-core@g.o
29 Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:11:22 -0600
30
31 Hi All,
32
33 ....
34 I just wanted to implore people to *not* focus on getting gcc 3.0 to work, at
35 least not until after Gentoo Linux 1.0. gcc3 is not going to be in 1.0, so
36 any fixes in this area do not help us get closer to the 1.0 release. I'd also
37 ask that people refrain from unnecessarily upgrading core packages, as these
38 kinds of things close to release tend to cause problems. I don't mind the
39 occasional gcc3 fix being added here and there, but I would ask that people
40 don't explicitly try to to a Gentoo 1.0/gcc3 bootstrap, for example. I would
41 much prefer it if you were to test Gentoo 1.0 as-is and focus on fixing and
42 refining issues in it.
43
44 Again, please put gcc3 aside for now and focus exclusively on fixing
45 outstanding bugs.
46 ----------------
47
48 The second thing is, that some developers *have* been working on getting
49 Gentoo to compile with gcc3, which prompted the above mail. They'll likely go
50 on working on it after the 1.0 release.
51
52 The third thing is that I believe drobbins intends us to wait a bit longer and
53 go straight to gcc 3.1. I'm not involved in these decisions, this is hearsay
54 so to speak.
57 Dan Armak
58 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team (KDE)
59 Matan, Israel