From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:25:02
1 > but
2 > again it appears that simple cases are being made complex, just to allow
3 > for someone else's complex cases. Which is faulty logic.
4
5 It's a welcome option but an important question seems to be; Why wasn't
6 this picked up in the dev cycle?.
7
8 This reminds me of udisks 8 months ago losing features for
9 multi-seat costing me time to replace it with udev and scripts which I
10 still prefer. Is it coincidence that Redhat wanted complex multiseat at
11 all costs for udisks and Redhat want fast boot at all cost for cloud
12 services?
13
14 p.s. I am very glad of RedHats contributions and respect their position
15 of giving coders freedom but I just think that if they are able to fund
16 coders to look after a corner full-time or completely then they need
17 to manage that corner or atleast have some ground rules to cover any
18 case of my way or the high way. The kernel wouldn't tolerate this
19 kind of breakage and I really hope I never see linux userland as
20 dependent on IPC as minix is or as broken without IPC as windows is
21 without RPC.
22
23 I take the unarguably more secure well setup sudoers and useful small
24 tools anyone can use or take code from over polkit anyday.
28
29 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
30 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
31 universal interface'
32
33 (Doug McIlroy)