From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Commercial" software in portage
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:21:22
1 On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 14:00 -0400, Daniel Ostrow wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 18:54 +0100, José Carlos Cruz Costa wrote:
3 > > Hi everybody,
4 > >
5 > > If it's commercial, the company in question should (and must) allow an
6 > > ebuild for is product, like what happens with rpms and other packages.
7 > > Adding commercial ebuilds to portage is like tainting the kernel with
8 > > binary drivers.
9 > >
10 > > Maybe a better solution comes with gensync? If companies want ebuilds,
11 > > sure. They go to the "commercial" portage. Hell, even put a price on
12 > > maintaining those ebuilds.
13 > >
14 > > Remember that are a lot of people that don't want to use that kind of
15 > > software. There are people that doesn't have even xorg and have to
16 > > sync all the ebuilds from portage.
17 >
18 > This is what rsync excludes are for...there is no good reason to remove
19 > things like doom3 and UT2k4 from the tree for the sole reason that they
20 > are commercial packages. You don't want them...fine...exclude them.
21
22 ...or just don't emerge them. It isn't like we're sending SpanKY to
23 your house to force you to play them. Many commercial packages are
24 designed to be used on RPM-based distributions, so many users find out
25 ebuilds invaluable for these things.
26
27 The whole point I am trying to make is that I am *not* going to make any
28 sort of political decision, but rather implement a slight change
29 tree-wide to empower users to make decisions of that sort for
30 themselves.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
35 Games - Developer