From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-1.11.12-r2 request for testers
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:33:08
1 On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 15:04 +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > I'm trying it on a laptop that connects to various different networks
3 > depending on the weather. I figured this would be a useful test as
4 > it's a less common configuration. It connects mostly via different
5 > docking stations. I use udev to rename ethernet devices according to
6 > MAC address (the ethernet devices are in the docking stations).
7 > Hotplug then runs the appropriately named network script via net.agent
8 > to start the service. Critically, the various net.* scripts are
9 > therefore -not- in any runlevel.
10 >
11 > This hotplugging of the network devices all kicks off early on - well
12 > before the boot level has finished. The new /sbin/runscript.sh simply
13 > drops the addition of the network device if the boot level hasn't
14 > finished - leaving me with no network (or at least, a network that has
15 > to be started manually). For now, I've commented out the check in
16 > /sbin/runscript.sh, and it all works ok. I don't know what this will
17 > break; obviously the check wasn't added just for laughs!
21 emerge ifplugd and get that to monitor your interfaces. It will bring
22 them up/down when a cable is inserted/removed.
23 You'll probably have to tell it to not fail if the interfaces don't
24 exist as you're using udev to rename them.
25
26 A better solution would be to allow configuration via MAC address, which
27 we may put into baselayout-1.12.0
30 > On a somewhat related matter, I have bluetooth stuff installed, which
31 > is also started by hotplug/pcmcia. In order to prevent it being
32 > stopped by changing runlevels, I've made a softlink to net.bluetooth
33 > and started that in my hotplug config instead of 'bluetooth'. Bit of
34 > a hack, relying on the fact /sbin/rc does not automatically stop
35 > anything that begins with "net.". Is there a tidier way to prevent
36 > /sbin/rc from messing with services started & stopped via hotplug?
41 Try experimenting with the RC_STRICT_NET_CHECKING in /etc/conf.d/rc
44 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
45 Gentoo Linux Developer