From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New USE_EXPAND: LLVM_TARGETS
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 21:42:25
1 Ühel kenal päeval, P, 25.09.2016 kell 23:08, kirjutas Michał Górny:
2 > I'd like to introduce a new USE_EXPAND for LLVM & clang. It'd be
3 > named
4 > LLVM_TARGETS, and it's going to replace the current solution based on
5 > USE=multitarget & VIDEO_CARDS=radeon.
6 >
7 > - VIDEO_CARDS=radeon enabled additional R600 target,
8
9 No. It enables AMDGPU target these days, which is for the modern stuff
10 and very much needed by them.
11 r600 stuff was in the llvm 3.3-3.6 era, which was used by old
12 experimental mesa[r600-llvm-compiler] as an alternative shader compiler
13 for r600 instead of builtin mesa stuff. This work has been ditched long
14 ago afaik.
15 Instead now VIDEO_CARDS=radeon is required on llvm for radeonsi and
16 later AMD GPUs for _ANY_ shader compiler support at all, plus other
17 things (from it adding AMDGPU to llvm targets in current ebuild).
18
19 > The new system will be applied to 3.9.0 and 9999 ebuilds. VIDEO_CARDS
20 > flag will be removed completely because of no revdeps.
21
22 People with radeonsi graphics set VIDEO_CARDS=radeon already, I'm a bit
23 reserved about having to force them to set some LLVM_TARGETS=radeon or
24 LLVM_TARGETS=amdgpu on top of that to satisfy some USE depends on
25 mesa[video_cards_radeon].