From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: change to default policy of doing changes to packages that are maintained by other developers
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 00:59:09
1 On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 5:37 PM Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 19:37:28 +0200
4 > Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > This is a bit unhealthy, especially when some developers that maintain
7 > > packages are out of reach, or the patches to update ebuild just rot on
8 > > the bugzilla and are not taken in by maintainers.
9 >
10 > IME this is far from the norm and should not be used as the
11 > justification here.
12
13 I think exceptional cases are the reason for many, many policies in
14 Gentoo. That probably doesn't surprise you.
15
16 > If you don't have the patience to even wait _one_ day for a response,
17 > maybe you shouldn't be doing opensource.
18
19 I'm not sure what this is in reference to so it seems to be a
20 non-sequitur, but I like the policy of at least waiting a day for
21 review of non-critical fixes. Phrased another way, let people in every
22 timezone have a chance.