From: Jack Morgan <jmorgan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Sparc Arch status
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 15:36:17
1 All,
2
3 I wanted to send out an update on the Sparc arch team status. My overall
4 plan is to reduce the total number of keywords for sparcto a more
5 manageable level. I'd like to continue to have sparc be a stable arch
6 for gentoo for as long as it makes sense. I'm hoping to get some
7 feedback from the community as to what should be supported and what can
8 be reduced.
11 (1) Bugzilla
12 At the time of writing, here is the bug count for sparc. There is a good
13 amount of keywording to do here and I'll start working on these in a week.
14
15 sparc: total (172), keywordreq (67), stablereq(85)
18 (2) Installation (Wiki/Releng)
19 The documentation is up to date and accurate. Thanks doc team! I
20 recently did a fresh install so the current iso and stage3 work well.
21 The stage3 need to be updated because they include perl-18 instead of
22 perl-20. Otherwise, the install process is stable on my system.
25 (3) Infra
26 There is one developer machine[1] to use for keyword testing. Please
27 request access from the contact in you would like a shell account.
30 (4) Profiles
31
32 (a) systemd support
33 I tried for several days to get systemd working on sparc. systemd just
34 seg faulted on boot up. In fact, I had trouble getting udev to start. It
35 just produced an error "ignoring: Invalid argument error initializing
36 netlink socket" and didn't start. Since udev didn't start, i was not
37 able to log in nor ssh (no network interface found). I made the switch
38 to eudev and eudev started just fine. I'll file a couple of bugs in a
39 week and go from there. I'll work with the systemd team to resolve these
40 problems.
41
42 (b) gnome/kde desktop support
43 I'd like to propose dropping support for gnome/kde desktop if systemd
44 isn't supported on sparc. I'm note sure it makes sense long term nor
45 have developer resources to continue to keyword it. I have a couple of
46 desktop systems so can test easily but running xfce4 atm. I'm open to
47 others opinions.
50 (c) java support
51 The java team said they don't have cycles to support sparc. Support
52 would have to come from the sparc team or the community. Unless someone
53 steps up to help out with java, I'll propose to drop support on sparc.
54 Thanks to the java team for helping us know what needs to be done to
55 support java or not.
58 (5) anything else?
59 Is there anything I missed? Other sections of gentoo?
63 [1]https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Infrastructure/Developer_Machines
66 Thanks,
69 Jack Morgan
70 Pub 4096R/761D8E0A 2010-09-13 Jack Morgan <jmorgan@g.o>
71 Fingerprint = DD42 EA48 D701 D520 C2CD 55BE BF53 C69B 761D 8E0A