From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: About current ppc/ppc64 status
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 10:28:55
1 Raúl Porcel posted on Fri, 01 Aug 2014 10:52:21 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > But almost all arches except amd64/x86/arm are getting less and less
4 > popular:
5 >
6 > alpha: no new hardware in more than 8+ years
7 > hppa: being phased out IIRC, and no new workstations
8 > (ie, graphics/sound) in 5+ years
9 > ia64: no new workstations in 10 years, new servers are expensive
10 > ppc*: new workstations are expensive
11 > sparc: no new workstations in 7+ years, new servers expensive
12 >
13 > One of the reasons they are being killed, IMHO, its that the power
14 > consumption isn't worth, and an amd64 machine is pretty much more
15 > powerful, has more cores, and cheaper and has a lot less power
16 > consumption.
17
18 While to nowhere near the same degree, I'd suggest x86 (32-bit) is
19 getting less popular now too, at least for gentoo with our focus on end-
20 user software building. It'll certainly be awhile before it's in the
21 minor-arch camp, but amd64 definitely has the mainline focus now and if
22 x86 installs are keeping up with retirements I'd be very surprised.
23
24 Amd64 is probably maintaining but I doubt it's increasing much.
25
26 In terms of usage, tho for different reasons I guess arm is about where
27 amd64 was when I switched to it in 2003, and to gentoo a few months later
28 in early 2004 -- in gentoo they could be challenging x86 for #2 in a few
29 years tho I'm not ready to predict they'll challenge amd64 any time soon.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman