From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] moving kernel config checks forward: potential config checking tool
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:14:16
1 I wanted to break the prior thread to discuss the root issue.
2
3 We have some set of packages (A) which collectively depend on one or
4 more kernel options being set in specific ways, and the options need to
5 REMAIN set if you want the packages to continue work.
6
7 There are also a subset of packages (B), usually kernel modules themselves
8 that will outright fail to compile if specific options are/are not set.
9
10 Can we consider moving the checks for set A somewhere else, such that we
11 don't check the kernel config during package compile & install time, but
12 only check it later? This also meaningfully resolves that cases where
13 the system that has package building isn't where the packages are being
14 used.
15
16 This secondary tooling COULD be called from pkg_setup much less, and
17 could do a much more efficient job of checking the state of multiple
18 flags. At boot, it needs to load the present config into some easy to
19 check for, and then it can be verified against in a lightweight manner.
20
21 Also a lot easier for users to say "i accept the responsbility of my
22 stuff breaking", AND for users to say "hey, why did package X broken
23 when I rebooted into new kernel" (because some config option changed).
24
25 It would need to keep long-term state about which packages want specific options
26 set/unset/modular, as well as short-term state about the config from
27 each boot.
30 Robin Hugh Johnson
31 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
32 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
33 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
34 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136