From: Eamon Caddigan <ecaddiga@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Emerge Update Slot
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:33:54
Is there an easy way to tell emerge to update a package to the newest
version available in a given SLOT? Say I wanted to update to the latest
unstable version of gtk1. If I try:

$ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pvu \>=x11-libs/gtk+-1.2.10-r10 shows all the packages for the latest unstable version of gtk2.
I'd love to see an option like "sameslot", which would check the slot of
the version specified in the atom, and update to the latest version in
this same slot. For example:

$ ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -pvu --sameslot \>=x11-libs/gtk+-1.2.10-r10

...would give me gtk+-1.2.10-r11.

I know this can be done by masking out (through package.mask or
carefully chosen package atoms on the command line) versions in
different slots, but this requires knowing which versions are in which
slots. I believe it would be best if portage hid the details of slots
from its users.

NB: I apologize if any of you already read this in gentoo-user: I hate
double-posting, but this seems like a more appropriate place to ask.