From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: nirbheek@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX capability in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 20:28:05
1 On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 01:16:21 +0530
2 Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Anthony G. Basile
5 > <blueness@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Hi everyone,
7 > >
8 > > A couple of days ago, bonsaikitten (Patrick), kerframil (Kerin
9 > > Millar) and myself were talking about other distros moving away
10 > > from setuid binaries towards caps.  Openwall and Fedora are now
11 > > setuid-less [1]. Some googling showed that Constanze has done quite
12 > > a bit of work in the area and that there was a consensus to include
13 > > functions to set caps within portage [2].  I don't know what, if
14 > > anything has been done since then, but I'd like to lend my support.
17 > One problem that came up was that a lot of people use tmpfs for
18 > /var/tmp/portage, and tmpfs doesn't support xattrs which are needed
19 > for setting caps.
20
21 Will packages always explicitly set caps themselves or will sometimes
22 upstream do that for us?
23
24 IOW, will we have total control over actual caps?
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny