From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Put DESCRIPTION HOMEPAGE and LICENSE in another place
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:35:31
1 On Thursday 11 August 2005 02:04, Carlos Silva wrote:
2 [...]
3 > What do you think of this?
4
5 I once asked for a better place (namely metadata.xml), but got corrected with
6 the following reason:
7
8 HOMEPAGE/LICENSE/DESCRIPTION might change over version bumps; not just the
9 revision/version number, also the description reflecting major behavior
10 changes from version 0.1 to 1.0 for example;
11 The license may change for numerous reasons;
12 The homepage may change as version 1.2.4.x might be available on $URL/a and
13 1.4.8.y might be available on $URL/b (and though maybe even slotted); both
14 can still be the same package; though slotted, and with differend homepage
15 URL.
16
17 But anyway, I feel that these cases in realworld are really very rare (except
18 the the license-change thingy)
19
20 just my thoughts,
21 Christian Parpart.
24 05:28:28 up 140 days, 18:36, 0 users, load average: 0.14, 0.18, 0.23