From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: When will KDE 3.5 be marked as stable?
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 11:35:16
1 Bart Braem posted <e3f37g$uqo$1@×××××××××.org>, excerpted below, on Fri,
2 05 May 2006 10:43:28 +0200:
3
4 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 >
6 >> Bart Braem wrote:
7 >>> Xorg 7: 5 months
8 >>
9 >> Can't stabilize till portage 2.1 is stable. Doesn't matter how many open
10 >> bugs we've got, or how well it works.
11 >>
12 > Thanks for the explanation. Not that I really like it but I understand
13 > that portage 2.1 is a large upgrade...
14
15 That of course begs the question of portage 2.1 stabilization.
16
17 FWIW, as a (mostly) lurker on the portage-devel group/list, I believe
18 it's safe to say that 2.1-rcs are "coming real soon now". There's an
19 active discussion at the moment on whether to base -rc1 on -pre10, which
20 introduced some code cleanups, -pre9, before those cleanups but after the
21 intro of manifest2 (a big target feature that needs included, but that
22 will mean a bit longer to stabilize), or -pre7, before manifest2. Whatever
23 the decision, portage trunk is now feature-frozen until the split is made,
24 so the 2.1 stabilization process is now started.
25
26 The target is stabilization of 2.1 for Gentoo 2006.1, penciled in for
27 release this (northern hemisphere) summer (July-ish, AFAIK). Assuming
28 that target is hit, Donnie should be able to say whether xorg 7 should
29 stabilize at the same time and be ready for 2006.1 as well, or whether
30 it'll be slightly behind, perhaps 30-days or so -- IOW, whether its 30 day
31 stabilization is in parallel to or occurs after the 30-day stabilization
32 of portage 2.1.
33
34 In any case, given his statement above and the events from portage-devel,
35 a reasonably safe prediction should be that they'll both be stable by the
36 end of the (northern hemisphere) summer, with a target of mid-summer.
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
42 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list