From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 05:31:35
1 In the interests of not being accusatory/one-sided, please replace this phrase:
2
3 "- partly your fault"
4
5 with the phrase
6
7 "due to ambiguity on the part of Gentoo and Paludis"
8
9 That is what I meant anyway. I shouldn't have expressed it in such a
10 negative way. Sorry.
11
12 -Daniel
13
14 On 3/2/07, Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com> wrote:
15 > On 3/2/07, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
16 > > So, er, to whom does this deadline apply then, if not the people
17 > > writing PMS?
18 >
19 > I have no clue.
20 >
21 > PMS is not a Gentoo project, so they can't impose a deadline on you.
22 >
23 > I don't think PMS is deserving of the council's time, as it is not an
24 > specification aimed at interoperability, but is a spec for a
25 > non-Gentoo project. The fact that it uses Portage as inspiration for
26 > its overall design, and is aiming to be compatible with Portage is
27 > irrelevant. In my opinion, it falls outside both the council's area of
28 > influence *and* intended focus.
29 >
30 > I believe that Paludis should be treated like any other upstream
31 > project. As such, I don't think the council should spend much time
32 > thinking about Paludis, and we should also not spend a
33 > disproportionate amount of time discussing its design on our mailing
34 > lists. If anyone is interested in Paludis cross-compatibility, they
35 > can join Paludis lists or irc channels and discuss this with Paludis
36 > developers on these lists (in my opinion.) I think there has been way
37 > too much blurring of these boundaries as well - partly your fault.
38 >
39 > I agree with Ciaran that the mention of "PMS: deadlines and interested
40 > parties" in the Council agenda trancends the actual authority of the
41 > Gentoo Council and should be reconsidered or at least massively
42 > clarified so we can understand why it is relevant for the Council to
43 > be discussing in the first place.
44 >
45 > -Daniel
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list