From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Kernel sources thread
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:35:11
1 On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:06:20 -0700 Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 | > The 2.6.x patchset is a *lot* cleaner. I'm not the only dev who
3 | > still has strong objections to at least one of the patches that's
4 | > included in there, however.
5 |
6 | Which one, supermount?
7
8 No, supermount is just pointless, since we've got udev and dev.d, but
9 it's cleanly =Nable and off by default so I doubt many people really
10 care. The objectionable patch is bootsplash. Chances are everyone's
11 already heard wesolows' rant about this, and I agree with everything he
12 says, so I won't repeat it here.
13
14 (Incidentally, until recently bootsplash would change the fb code even
15 when it was disabled, and it screwed thing up enough that I had to
16 revert the patch.)
17
18 | As of right now, there are only 4 "features" added to the g-d-s kernel
19 | package, all for very good reason.
20
21 Is one of those reasons "looking pretty at the expense of hiding the
22 messages which show why your keyboard isn't working"? :)
25 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
26 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
27 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm