From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: isodate for packages.mask starting on 2019-07-01
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2019 11:23:29
1 Dear all,
2
3 Situation:
4 We have different date formats in packages.mask.
7 Change:
8 I suggest that we start using the date format yyyy-mm-dd
9 for all dates in packages.mask
10 starting with 2019-07-01
11
12 The following changes in packages.mask will introduce the date format,
13 specify the timezone, and use Larry as example user.
14
15 3,6c3,6
16 < # When you add an entry to the top of this file, add your name, the
17 date, and
18 < # an explanation of why something is getting masked. Please be extremely
19 < # careful not to commit atoms that are not valid, as it can cause
20 large-scale
21 < # breakage, especially if it ends up in the daily snapshot.
22 ---
23 > # When you add an entry to the top of this file, add your name, the date
24 > # in the UTC timezone, and an explanation of why something is getting
25 masked.
26 > # Please be extremely careful not to commit atoms that are not valid,
27 as it can
28 > # cause large-scale breakage, especially if it ends up in the daily
29 snapshot.
30 10c10
31 < ## # Dev E. Loper <developer@g.o> (28 Jun 2012)
32 ---
33 > ## # Larry the cow <larry@g.o> (2019-07-01)
34 24,26c24,26
35 < ## # Dev E. Loper <developer@g.o> (23 May 2015)
36 < ## # Masked for removal in 30 days. Doesn't work
37 < ## # with new libfoo. Upstream dead, gtk-1, smells
38 ---
39 > ## # Larry the cow <larry@g.o> (2019-07-01)
40 > ## # Masked for removal after 2019-08-01.
41 > ## # Doesn't work with new libfoo. Upstream dead, gtk-1, smells
44 Reason:
45 * Larry is the Gentoo Example
46 * 2019-01-01 + 30 days is unclear, if we do not use UTC time
47 * The new date format is easy to read and write and easy to parse
48 internationally.
49
50 Do you have any objections?
53 By the way, you can get a formatted string of now in UTC with:
54 date -u +"%Y-%m-%d"
57 Best,
58 Jonas