From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: zerochaos@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DESCRIPTION="Based on the ${ECLASS} eclass"
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 21:28:17
1 On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:18:16 -0400
2 "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > On 09/14/2012 04:56 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
8 > > On Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:51:54 -0400
9 > > "Rick \"Zero_Chaos\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
10 > >> I have a personal vendetta on this subject. Several eclasses set a
11 > >> completely worthless description (and even more set a mostly
12 > >> worthless DESCRIPTION) which ends up contaminating the DESCRIPTION
13 > >> for an ebuild when inherit is done after DESCRIPTION is set.
14 > >
15 > > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/78813/
16 > >
17 > >> I realize that most of you will find this a little pedantic,
18 > >> however, I find that needing to move my DESCRIPTION to below the
19 > >> inherit often severely affects the readability of the ebuild, and
20 > >> all to avoid a completely (or nearly) worthless DESCRIPTION from
21 > >> contaminating my environment.
22 > >
23 > > You want your inherit line to be as near as the top as possible. The
24 > > only things you should have before the inherit line are EAPI and any
25 > > variables used by eclasses to determine behaviour.
28 > I have a nasty habit of writing ebuilds to be both live and versioned
29 > which requires me to test ${PV} then set things like inherit VCS,
30 > SRC-URI, and KEYWORDS below. The large if block looks better in my
31 > opinion below the settings which are the same for all versions, rather
32 > than in the middle.
33 >
34 > Yes, it's a readability issue, but the point is, this shouldn't be an
35 > issue at all.
36
37 Use unifdef. Look at my overlay, and my ebuilds in the tree.
40 Best regards,
41 Michał Górny