From: "C. David Wilde" <cdw@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ieee1394 Setup Kernel
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:16:21
1 I have recently inherited a Sony Vaio PCG R505-DSP super slim laptop with a
2 docking station. The docing station contains the cdrom and floppy drives, I
3 am able to access the floppy fine, but not the cdrom due to the fact that it
4 is a firewire drive.
5
6 I tried creating the necessary kernel modules on my Gentoo desktop and loading
7 them from a floppy on the laptop, but I get a bunch of unresolved symbols
8 trying to load them, so I am assuming that the 1.2 ISO version of the 2.4.19
9 kernel does not have ieee1394 support enabled. My plan now is to build a new
10 kernel with the appropriate support and replace the kernel on the ISO.
11
12 I am assuming that I can just replace kernel with the newly created bzImage,
13 but I'm not sure where to place the modules, or if I should just compile them
14 directly into the kernel? Does anyone have any suggestions ideas as to how I
15 should proceed? Any help is greatly appreciated, and I will be happy to
16 publish all of my results getting Gentoo running on this bad boy ;)
17
18 TIA, Dave Wilde