From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>, pr@g.o, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc portage news item
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:39:57
2 Lars Wendler (Polynomial-C)
3 Gentoo package maintainer and bug-wrangler
4
5 Am Donnerstag 21 April 2011, 03:12:21 schrieb Donnie Berkholz:
6 > On 13:32 Thu 14 Apr , Kfir Lavi wrote:
7 > > When i run world update, I usually don't really check all the written
8 > > stuff.
9 > >
10 > > If I do this, I'm sure a lot more Gentoo users do the same. So do
11 > > expect people rebooting the machine without checking what your have
12 > > wrote. This can be a major headache if you have few systems that are
13 > > doing auto updates. I would solve this issue by stopping the emerge
14 > > and getting the attention of the user. If I don't get the attention of
15 > > the user, no openrc will be installed. It should be something like
16 > > emerge -C ... 1 .2 3 4 5...
17 > >
18 > > To conclude, you can't issue such a change without proper confirmation
19 > > from the user.
20 >
21 > I know this is the case. You're going to get literally thousands of
22 > people (or more) who break their Gentoo systems if that indeed is the
23 > consequence of not reading the migration guide and doing some action.
24 >
25 > From a glance over the guide, it wasn't immediately obvious what in
26 > there would result in a broken system. Perhaps it's the "run
27 > dispatch-conf" that's buried in the middle of a paragraph without enough
28 > emphasis? That's particularly confusing for people who use etc-update
29 > instead, and it *needs* to move somewhere more obvious like a separate
30 > code listing with big <important> tags and bold text. The line of red
31 > text just isn't enough, it needs to stand out even more.
32 >
33 > It seems like nobody's really clear on what exactly happens though,
34 > since I've seen people talking about this *maybe* resulting in an
35 > unbootable system. Has anyone tested it?
36
37 I didn't test it intentionally. The last time I accidently rebooted a system
38 freshly moved to bl-2/openrc without updating the config files the boot process
39 threw a couple of strange errors. I cannot exactly remember what kind of
40 errors that were but the result was a system hanging in the middle of the boot
41 process with a message similar to "nothing left to do in this runlevel" and I
42 wasn't able to log into the system.
43 Another problem I've once encountered after updating a system to use openrc
44 was no running udev daemon after boot. I first didn't notice this but X didn't
45 start and funny part was that X won't tell you it cannot start because the
46 devicenodes in /dev for the graphics card were missing. So took me nearly a
47 day of frustrating research until I found that the udev init script wasn't
48 added to the sysinit runlevel. Of course this is mentioned in the migration
49 guide but it should be explicitly pointed out how fatal this can be to not
50 have udev getting started.
51
52 I can offer to "abuse" my two stable VMs (amd64 / x86) for this to test if
53 there's interest in getting "exact results". :)
54
55 > One potential cleaner approach to the same idea Kfir suggested is to
56 > make it an interactive emerge with an ACCEPT_LICENSE-like feature that
57 > pops up something you must read and agree to.