From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Concerns about WIPE_TMP change
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 02:12:46
1 Stefan de Konink <skinkie@××××××.nl> said:
2 > How stupid anyone could be that stores anything in /tmp. I think it is a
3 > problem to change the default behavior of a system that in essence will
4 > result in data loss.
5
6 I think this might just be a communication problem. You seem to be
7 contradicting yourself here by saying how someone could be stupid for
8 storing something, and then defending people that are doing something
9 you are admitting to be stupid and not logical.
10
11 > As pointed out by others you should not use /tmp to store data, my
12 > return question is then, why are the other ./tmp directories not wiped?
13 > If any ./tmp on a partition was 'kernel' governed I could agree that a
14 > semi-ramdisk would be gone upon reboot, or after an application was done
15 > running. But it is not.
16
17 Because according to the FHS (and common sense), files or directories in
18 /tmp should not be considered to be preserved. /var/tmp on the other
19 hand is specifically for temporary files that should be preserved
20 between reboots.
23 > In any case my request would be to put a message with bells and beeps in
24 > the ebuild that cause the /etc/conf.d/bootmisc change announcing that by
25 > then the default option for /tmp is deletion on boot. To be consistent,
26 > also delete /var/tmp. If anyone thinks wiping /var/tmp is evil, please
27 > reconsider /tmp too. In my opinion WIPE_TMP should be in the same state
28 > as RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP. Unless anyone can make sure a user knows what he
29 > is doing, disable it.
30
31 Please refer to my explanation above as to why /var/tmp is different
32 from /tmp.
33
34 Should an elog statement been put into the ebuild...maybe.
35 I leave that up to the maintainer to decide what is important enough to
36 be logged, and they clearly thought this wasn't in this case. But
37 bringing it up on this mailing list is atleast the correct place to get
38 a discussion going on what should be mentioned when we change default
39 configurations if that is your intention.
40
41 Thanks,
44 Mark Loeser
45 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org