From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 10:24:19
1 On śro, 2017-05-24 at 03:48 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 08:41:25AM +0200, Micha?? Górny wrote
3 > > Next time such a thing happens, the discussion will happen on a
4 > > completely private media or not happen at all because of the state
5 > > of this mailing list. Is this what you really want?
6 >
7 > Here's the part you did not quote...
8 >
9 > > > If we could have a guarantee of proposed changes like that being
10 > > > posted on Gentoo-User for comment, rather than being sprung on
11 > > > users by surprise, I'd be willing to sign off this list.
12 >
13 > Note where I said "...posted on Gentoo-User for comment...". What I'm
14 > asking is for such proposed changes to be posted on Gentoo-User, and the
15 > discussion/feedback/flamefests/etc will be on Gentoo-User. This type of
16 > surprise stuff seems to happen a lot in Open Source...
17 >
18 > * Gentoo /usr
19 > * Firefox Australis UI, and dropping ALSA and going PulseAudio-only
20 > * GNOME getting a hard-coded dependancy on systemd
21 > * etc, etc
22
23 And what would be the use of those 'user comments'? Do you believe it
24 would change anything? So what is the purpose of asking more users from
25 feedback *we do not want*?
26
27 Would it make you feel better if you were asked to raise your objection?
28 Would you feel better claiming that we did it against objections of many
29 users? Or do you believe we would abandon it and decide not to do
30 anything because of the resulting bikeshed -- which seems to be
31 a recurring theme lately?
32
33 Yes, I *do not want feedback* on *how to do Gentoo* from people who do
34 *not help me do Gentoo* but instead only complain and demand.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny