From: Tomasz Mloduchowski <mlodutb@×××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Split ebuilds for GCC
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 01:01:15
1 Aron Griffis wrote:
2 > Duncan wrote: [Wed Jan 04 2006, 02:49:39PM EST]
3 >
4 >>Forget formal logic, it still "begs the question", in that it "begs
5 >>that the question be asked".
8 > No, the reason you used the expression "begs the question" is because
9 > it sounds familiar to you. Otherwise you would have said something
10 > like "brings up the question." The fact is that "begs the question"
11 > is an expression with a particular meaning, and it shouldn't be
12 > confused with the sum of its parts.
13 Altough, the primary function of the language is as a means of
14 communication. While I must agree that 'official' meaning of 'begs the
15 question' is not 'brings up the question', I believe the number of
16 English users who understands this statement in 'brings up' meaning
17 exceeds the number of formalists.
18
19 English is not a standard, until somebody RFC'd it. It's evolving, we
20 saw the career of podcasting, I believe we will see in 20 years:
21
22 begs the question:
23 brings up the question. (archaic: ...)
24
25 So, why not make this linguistic debate EOT for now... and resume it
26 with Gentoo 2020.0 ?
27
28 Best wishes,
29 Tomasz Mloduchowski