From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News item: GRUB2 migration
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 03:55:30
1 On 9/21/13 1:19 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2 > I wasn't able to reproduce this in qemu. It is possible that GRUB's
3 > graphical terminal driver has some issues with VMWare.
4 >
5 > However, have a Gentoo box at work that runs GRUB2 on VMWare ESX, and
6 > I don't recall having any display issues on the console. But I'm also
7 > not chainloading it there.
8
9 Thanks for testing this. I've tried without chainloading and it was also
10 broken.
11
12 However, I got it to work later, and there are at least two solutions:
13
14 1. In /etc/default/grub, uncomment GRUB_TERMINAL=console line and re-run
15 grub2-mkconfig.
16
17 2. In /etc/default/grub, add GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text line and re-run
18 grub2-mkconfig.
19
20 Actually Arch wiki article mentions something very similar:
21 <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Disable_framebuffer>
22
23 Also, it seems worth it to add to the guide info about how to roll back
24 just in case. Running grub-install /dev/sda works just fine (it invokes
25 grub legacy as opposed to grub2).
26
27 Then, looking at Arch wiki article, it's probably a good idea to make
28 backup:
29 <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Backup_important_data> . I
30 recommend adding this to our guide.
31