From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] perl-5.10 inclusion
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 09:19:38
1 Hello list,
2
3 I already talked about this topic yesterday in #-dev.
4 perl-5.10 is out since end of 2007 [1] and we still don't have it in our main
5 portage-tree but rather have it kinda rotting in the perl-experimental
6 overlay.
7 I know that the perl team is badly understaffed with only one active dev who
8 is not even on the member list (is that right, tove?) but there has to be
9 done something. We cannot stick with perl-5.8 forever.
10 So my suggestion is to ask for help here. Anybody willing to help please grab
11 the perl-experimental overlay, install {lib,}perl-5.10 and start to use it on
12 a regular basis. If you don't mind, try to install as much perl-packages as
13 possible and report back any failures to our bugzilla.
14 I already started on that and "infected" two of my systems with perl-5.10. My
15 VM (which I originally only set up for testing of kde-4) is currently running
16 a 'USE="perl" emerge -e @world' and till now 320 out of 550 packages
17 installed without any problems on that machine.
18 Next step will be to go though perl-core and dev-perl categories and install
19 every package being in there.
20 My intention is to get a picture about how many packages are broken with
21 perl-5.10. The fixing of those packages is something I unfortunately cannot
22 do (I'm a complete perl-noob) but maybe this is a good start getting
23 perl-5.10 finally into portage.
24 By the way, as soon as I find the first packages being broken with perl-5.10 I
25 will open a tracker bug in bugzilla. So watch out for it if you stumble about
26 failing packages with perl-5.10 yourself.
27
28 Lars Wendler (Polynomial-C)
29 Gentoo Staffer and bug-wrangler
30
31 [1] according to the perl website version 5.10 is more than one year and seven
32 months old: http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html